A crisp, crunchy salad with all the flavours of summer.
Barbecue season is upon us. Whether you are hosting a barbecue or looking for something to bring, this is the perfect party dish. Just look at this salad – yellow corn, rosy red tomatoes, black beans, red onion, ripe avocados, and fresh cilantro – doesn’t it just look delicious. Excuse me while my mouth waters.
I made this salad for dinner the other night. We all loved the bright colours, even my daughter wanted to try it right away. It’s a feast for the eyes, but it tastes even better than it looks. (Don’t you love when that happens!) We were all reaching for seconds and thirds that night.
Fiesta Corn Salad
This low fat, crunchy salad is a real crowd pleaser. It can complement any meat or fish. Perfect for a barbecue or anytime.
- 3 cups corn kernels (3 ears fresh corn)
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped or 2 tablespoons cilantro, dried
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add corn and beans, cook for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside when lightly charred.
- In a medium bowl, combine vegetable broth, 1 tablespoon of lime juice, garlic, paprika, salt, and oregano. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, cheese, onion, and cilantro.
- Pour remaining 1/2 tablespoon of lime juice over avocados. Add to corn mixture and gently toss.
- Plate and enjoy!
Note: Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving to let the flavours combine more.
If you love corn, you may also enjoy Corn Muffins with Creamy Lime Sauce
If you love salad, you may also enjoy Avocado Caesar Salad
Do you enjoy summer salads? What’s your favourite one?