Savoury muffins filled with sweet corn kernels and served with a zesty, creamy lime sauce.
With the holiday season upon us, there are countless family dinners, which means lots and lots of food. While the holidays are about family and spending time with loved ones, let’s talk about the food. Sure, you can make the same recipes year after year. Maybe it’s a tradition, maybe it’s just what’s done, but I sometimes get an itch to try something new.
Corn Muffins with Creamy Lime Sauce is the perfect recipe to add to a big family dinner (or anytime). While they may look like ordinary muffins, they’re so much more. Unlike other corn muffins, Corn Muffins with Creamy Lime Sauce uses corn kernels, not cornmeal. The batter is a combination of flour and breadcrumbs with sautéed onions and corn kernels sprinkled throughout. The kernels give the muffins a fun, textured crunch, while the onions add a savoury flavour.
The flavour of the muffins is heightened by the Creamy Lime Sauce. The combination of yogurt, onion, lime, ginger, cilantro and honey create an exciting medley of flavours. Plain yogurt and lime may taste rather tart on their own, but the onion and ginger add a slight bite, while the cilantro and honey add a savoury and sweet element. It’s hard not to love the complex flavour of this simple sauce, especially when paired with these savoury muffins.
- MUFFIN INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoon egg whites
- CREAMY LIME SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, dried
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté onion in oil for 5 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, bread crumbs, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and eggs. Add to flour mixture. Gently fold in corn and onions.
- Coat muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill each tin.
- Bake muffins for 20 minutes, or until muffin tops are lightly browned.
- Combine Creamy Lime Sauce ingredients. Refrigerate until muffins are ready.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin.
If you love muffins, you may also enjoy Healthy Pizza Muffins.
If you love corn, you may also enjoy Fiesta Corn Salad
Have you tried Corn Muffins with Creamy Lime Sauce? What’s your favourite holiday dish?