Quick and easy salmon patties baked with roasted red peppers and sautéed onions.
I have a real love for salmon patties. They hold a special sentimental place in my heart. I have so many fond childhood memories of my mom pan frying up a batch of salmon patties. With lightly crispy edges, the patties were always calling my name. I could never resist sneaking one or two, even before they reached the kitchen table.
While my childhood salmon patties are sentimentally delicious, they were always a little too greasy for my liking. I’d always need to grab some extra paper towel to dab the excess oil away. Even with the most diligent degreasing, the patties always had an oily aftertaste.
Unlike my childhood salmon patties, these Roasted Red Pepper Salmon Patties are baked instead of pan-fried. So they have all the delicious flavours without any greasy after taste.
Made with canned salmon, this simple meal can be thrown together in under 30 minutes. To make it even easier, you don’t even need to roast your own peppers, simply use jarred roasted red peppers to give your patties a wonderfully charred flavour.
To make this tasty meal, simply combine canned salmon with greek yogurt and mayonnaise. Just a small amount of mayonnaise is needed. It helps to give the patties a really rich flavour that it would otherwise get from cooking in oil. Also, together with the yogurt, the mayonnaise helps to keep the patties moist while they bake away in the oven.
The combination of garlic, parsley, roasted red peppers and sautéed onions boost the salmon’s savouriness. Sautéing the onions mellows the intense bite of the onion, giving them a lightly sweetened flavour. The Italian bread crumbs finish off the flavour, giving the patty a lightly cheesy essence, which enhances the wonderfully smoky charred flavour from the peppers and onions.
To give the patties a uniform shape, I use a 1/4 cup collapsible measuring cup (the Chef’n Sleek Collapsible Measuring Cups). Simply spoon the salmon mixture into the measuring cup, press firmly, and gently pop out the patty. Place the formed patty on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and you have perfectly shaped salmon patties.
- 2 (7.5 ounce) cans of salmon, drained and flaked
- 4 tablespoons fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons egg whites
- 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Coat a non-stick pan with cooking spray, sauté onion for 5 to 8 minutes, or until brown. Remove when done.
- Combine salmon, mayonnaise, yogurt, egg whites, onion, red pepper, bread crumbs, garlic powder and parsley.
- Form patties, place on parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes on each side.
If you love salmon patties, you may also enjoy Leftover Tuna Salad Patties
Do you enjoy Roasted Red Pepper Salmon Patties? What’s your favourite salmon meal?