A summer fresh salad packed with strawberries, spinach, quinoa, avocados, green onions, roasted almonds and a honey-sweetened lemon dressing.
After picking so many berries over the weekend, I was excited to try a few new strawberry recipes. I already added berries to Strawberry Guacamole, this time, I wanted to enjoy them in a salad.
With bursts of summer fresh flavour, Strawberry Spinach Salad is so satisfying it can be an entire meal. Whether you enjoy it for lunch or dinner, Strawberry Spinach Salad pops with a deliciously sweet berry flavour and a savoury nutty crunch.
I love when there are a lot of different toppings in a salad. Each one compliments the other in a really tasty way. On its own, quinoa has a subtle nutty flavour. When it’s combined with roasted almond slices, the whole salad has a deliciously nutty taste.
The roasted almond slices, strawberries, spinach, quinoa and avocados all work together to create a salad that not only tastes delicious, it’s good for you too. Aside from all of the healthy vitamins and minerals, Strawberry Spinach Salad is also packed with some serious superfoods. Quinoa is a protein-rich super grain that’s high in fibre, iron, magnesium and antioxidants. Strawberries are also a bonafide superfood, they’re incredibly heart healthy too.
Strawberry Spinach Salad has a real refreshing flavour. The honey-sweetened lemon dressing amplifies the sweet strawberries and enhances the rest of the salad. The combination of lemon juice, water, honey, Dijon mustard and garlic powder create a light dressing that doesn’t need any oil. Water perfectly thins out the dressing without adding unnecessary calories and fat.
- SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 6 cups spinach
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 stalks green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- LEMON DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Boil vegetable stock in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When the stock begins to boil, lower the temperature to simmer.
- Add quinoa, cover the saucepan and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C)
- Place almonds on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and roasted.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, water, honey, Dijon mustard, and garlic powder.
- In a large bowl, add spinach and green onions. When the quinoa is finished, add it to the bowl and top with strawberries and half of the avocados.
- Drizzle with lemon dressing. Gently mix. Top with remaining avocados and almond slices.
- Plate and enjoy!
If you love salad, you may also enjoy Avocado Mediterranean Salad
Do you love fresh salads? Have you tried Strawberry Spinach Salad? What’s your favourite summer salad?