Naturally sweetened banana bread filled with peanut butter and melted chocolate chips.
Summertime is such a busy time of year. Between time with friends and out-of-town relatives, it feels like we’re hardly home. With all the time away, things can get a little forgotten. For us, it was a few sad bananas on the kitchen counter.
Parts of the bananas were still yellow, but most of the peel was covered with dark brown spots. “Yuck!” My two-year-old daughter would say. No one wanted to eat these bananas anymore. Instead of letting them go to waste, I decided to turn them into something delicious. Bread!
Whether you’re using sad leftover bananas or perfectly ripe ones, Peanut Butter Banana Bread is truly delicious. Oozing with a rich peanut butter and banana flavour with a sprinkling of chocolate chips throughout, you can’t help but fall in love with every bite of this bread.
If you’ve ever enjoyed a peanut butter and banana sandwich, this is the bread for you. Instead of spreading the peanut butter over the bread and covering it with chunks of bananas, Peanut Butter Banana Bread batter is filled with these two delicious ingredients. The banana keeps the bread moist while the peanut butter adds a savoury pop of flavour. Yum!
Peanut Butter Banana Bread lasts for three days on the counter and up to five days in the fridge. On the first day, the bread has a wonderfully balanced peanut butter and banana flavour. By the second day, the banana sweetness intensifies. And by the third, every bite of this bread is swimming in mouthwatering banana yumminess. It just keeps getting better and better. Whether you enjoy this bread on day one or day five, Peanut Butter Banana Bread has a wonderful mix of crave-worthy flavours, making it one yummy treat.
- 1 and 1/2 cups mashed bananas (3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 F (165 C).
- Coat non-stick loaf pan (9 x 5) with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine bananas, maple syrup, peanut butter, apple sauce, egg whites and vanilla.
- In a smaller bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to banana mixture. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Add to baking pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.
If you love banana and peanut butter, you may also enjoy Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream Bites
If you love freshly baked bread, you may also enjoy Apple Beer Bread
If you love bananas, you may also enjoy Banana Chocolate Chip Blondies
Have you tried Peanut Butter Banana Bread? What’s your favourite type of bread? What’s your go-to banana or peanut butter flavoured food?