Refreshing quinoa salad with strawberries, blueberries and roasted almond slices.
Summertime is a busy time. Especially when the end of July arrives and we celebrate my husband’s and daughter’s birthday. With about a week and a half between the two days, it feels like birthday season in our house.
Last weekend was my daughter’s third birthday and we whipped up some Yummy Vanilla Cupcakes. This weekend we celebrated with her friends.
Turning three was a whole new experience for us. My daughter helped with every aspect of party planning, from designing the invitations to choosing the music and even the menu. While cake, pizza, and fruit are always birthday party staples for us, I also wanted to include some healthier options, like fish-shaped cream cheese sandwiches, Miso Caesar Salad and Berry Nutty Quinoa Salad.
Quinoa is such a versatile grain. It’s like the little black dress of healthy grains. You can make it savoury or sweet, depending on how you prepare it. Pair it with berries, beans or even fish. There are endless ways to enjoy this super food. No wonder it’s so popular these days.
With a tasty combination of summer berries, roasted almonds and a honey-sweetened lemon dressing, Berry Nutty Quinoa Salad salad just screams summer. But what makes this salad extra tasty is one very special ingredient, vegetable broth.
Sure, it’s a great base for soups and stews, but vegetable broth also makes perfect quinoa. It adds an element of flavour that you just don’t get when you cook with water. The broth infuses the grain with a wonderfully hearty flavour that adds a savoury element to this fruit-filled salad.
Berry Nutty Quinoa Salad is super easy to make. And it’s the perfect make-ahead dish. You can have the berries chopped in one container, the quinoa in another, and the roasted almonds in the smallest one. Even the dressing can be made ahead of time. In fact, the dressing just gets better with time.
On the first day the lemon juice, water, honey, mint and Dijon mustard, have a fresh lemony flavour. But by the second and third day, the mint infuses the dressing, making it even more refreshing.
Whether you make Berry Nutty Quinoa Salad ahead of time or not, when it’s time to serve, everyone will love this crowd-pleasing dish.
Berry Nutty Quinoa Salad
A cold quinoa salad that’s quick and easy to prepare for lunch, dinner or a big backyard party. With a crowd-pleasing flavour of berries, roasted almonds and a honey-sweetened lemon dressing, this sweet and savoury dish packs a delicious punch.
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
Sweet Lemon Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Boil vegetable stock in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When the stock begins to boil, lower the temperature to simmer.
- Add quinoa, cover the saucepan and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Set aside when done.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Place almonds on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and roasted.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, water, honey, mint and Dijon mustard.
- In a large bowl, add strawberries, blueberries, half of the almonds, and quinoa.
- Drizzle with sweet lemon dressing. Gently mix. Top with remaining almonds.
- Plate and enjoy!
If you love salad, you may also enjoy Warm Avocado Quinoa Salad
Do you love fresh salads? Have you tried Berry Nutty Quinoa Salad?