Fluffy and moist cupcakes filled with pumpkin, vanilla and topped with cinnamon vanilla cream cheese frosting.
Ditch the boxed cake mix! Pumpkin Vanilla Cupcakes are seriously a piece of cake to make. Made with pumpkin purée, cinnamon, and Greek yogurt, these cupcakes are a lower fat treat that you can enjoy all season long.
Earlier this week, I shared pictures from our Halloween party and the festive table decorations. But now, it’s time to talk food.
When I asked my three-year-old daughter what she wanted to eat at the party, she said, “All of my favourites!” And so, we served caesar salad, pizza, Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta, fruit salad, and a new treat she calls spider pumpkin cupcakes.
Don’t you love the little spiders on top? My daughter was so excited to add them to the cupcakes.
Pumpkin Vanilla Cupcakes are adapted from Yummy Vanilla Cupcakes. Instead of using apple sauce, these cupcakes are made with pumpkin purée. It adds moisture, flavour and deliciously replaces oil or butter in traditional cupcake recipes. Cinnamon and all spice also added to enhance the pumpkin flavour. Even the cream cheese frosting is given an extra dose of autumn spice. A splash of cinnamon is mixed into the frosting, giving the cupcake a festive fall flavour.
- VANILLA PUMPKIN CUPCAKES
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup fat free vanilla Greek yogurt (substitute for fat free plain Greek yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- VANILLA CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1 1/2 cups low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, all spice, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a smaller bowl, combine milk, apple sauce, yogurt, egg whites and vanilla.
- Fill muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Evenly spoon batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- To prepare the icing, combine cream cheese, sugar, yogurt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Decorate cupcakes with frosting or any other toppings. Plate and enjoy!
If you love cake, you may also enjoy Yummy Vanilla Cupcakes
What’s your favourite sweet treat? Do you enjoy Yummy Vanilla Cupcakes?