Pasta with roasted eggplant, shitake mushrooms, and tomato sauce.
When it comes to comfort food, I love pasta. There is nothing like that carby goodness to make a feel good meal. Roasted Veggie Pasta is filled with all the comforting goodness of your favourite pasta dish. With a light and refreshing tomato sauce, roasted eggplant, and shitake mushrooms, this is one flavour-packed dish that anyone can enjoy.
I love eggplant! Like seriously love eggplant. Whether it’s baked, barbecued, or roasted, I always love that deliciously creamy vegetable. Roasted Veggie Pasta embraces everything that makes this vegetable so truly tasty. It all starts with roasting the eggplant. With just a small amount of oil, salt and pepper, the eggplant becomes a lightly textured, warm and creamy treat.
Now, the shitake mushrooms make this pasta even better. When they’re roasted with the eggplant, they taste like butter. They’re creamy, lightly tart, and they have this wonderfully pronounced mushroom flavour. These mushrooms are completely irresistible.
Roasted Veggie Pasta has one of my favourite tomato sauces. It has that wonderful fresh flavour. With small chunks of tomato, onion, garlic and fresh basil, this sauce has a deliciously light taste. It’s not overly tart or extremely herb based, it’s simply tasty.
The fresh flavour of the sauce is amplified when it’s combined with the roasted eggplant and shitake mushrooms. Together, this pasta is a tasty dish that is truly refreshing. Talk about a perfect dinner!
Roasted Veggie Pasta just gets better and better. By the next day, the flavours continue to meld, creating a pasta that’s even more enticing. Enjoy it the next day hot or cold. Either way, it’s truly delicious.
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) package pasta
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 shitake mushrooms, stem removed and sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (plus 2 tablespoons to garnish)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Place eggplant and mushrooms on a parchment covered baking sheet. Toss with 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Roast for 7 minutes. Remove mushrooms and set aside. Stir eggplant and roast for another 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat sauté onions in remaining olive oil for 1 minute.
- Stir in sugar and remaining salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until onions brown. Add garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes. Heat to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in corn starch. Wait for 1 to 2 minutes for sauce to thicken.
- Add basil and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in roasted eggplant and mushrooms. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add pasta. Mix well to combine.
- Plate and top with fresh basil. Enjoy!
If you love eggplant, you may also enjoy Panko Crusted Eggplant Parmesan
If you love pasta, you may also enjoy Cottage Cheese Tomato Sauce
If you love mushrooms, you may also enjoy Warm Mushroom and Arugula Pasta Salad
Have you tried Roasted Veggie Pasta? What’s your favourite eggplant, mushroom, or pasta dish?