Creamy, chocolatey and decadently delicious bars with a red velvet crust and a swirl of cheesecake.
There’s something about the combination of red velvet and cheesecake that is so perfect. The chocolatey red velvet combined with creamy cheesecake makes these bars completely addictive. Seriously, it’s hard to eat just one.
Instead of a traditional cake, I thought it would be fun to make Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars for my birthday. That’s right, today’s my birthday! I am so happy to be able to celebrate my birthday with you and share this sweet, delectable treat.
Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars are filled with all of the flavours of your favourite red velvet cake combined with a tasty cheesecake. These bars are like two perfect birthday cakes in one. It just doesn’t get better than that!
Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars are a chocolate cravers delight. You know those days when out of nowhere you’re hit with an undeniable chocolate craving. You just need a taste, a nibble, or even a bite of chocolate. Sure, you can try to ignore it, but like a boomerang, it just keeps coming back. With a combination of a chocolatey red velvet cake and light cheesecake, these dessert bars can crush those chocolate cravings.
While you savour or devour every bite of the Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars, you can feel good knowing that these bars are surprisingly low fat. The red velvet layer is made from a combination of cocoa powder, brown sugar, maple syrup, Greek yogurt, and milk. It creates a perfectly creamy, lightly sweetened batter, full of heavenly chocolatey flavour.
The cheesecake layer combines low fat cream cheese, sugar, egg whites and vanilla. With a light and decadent flavour. This creamy layer perfectly balances the chocolatey one below.
It’s hard to resist taking a bite. Once you taste Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars, it’s even harder to eat just one.
- RED VELVET LAYER
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup vanilla fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food colouring
- CHEESECAKE LAYER
- 2 cups low fat plain cream cheese
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- To make the red velvet layer, in a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl combine syrup, yogurt, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture. Mix to combine. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- To make the cheesecake layer, in a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Coat non-stick 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour red velvet dough into an even layer in the bottom of the pan. Pour cheesecake layer on top. With a butter knife, carefully swirl the cheesecake and red velvet together
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and removing from pan.
- Plate and enjoy!
If you love chocolate, you may also enjoy Two Bite Brownies
If you love cheesecake, you may also enjoy Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
Do you enjoy Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars? What’s your favourite chocolate or cheesecake treat? What’s your perfect birthday celebration dessert?