With perfectly crispy edges and a fluffy potato inside, these savoury garlic potatoes are the perfect side dish.
Sometimes a side dish is so good you can make a whole meal out of it. Garlic Smashed Potatoes with Saffron Aioli is that kind of dish. With a soft and creamy middle and a crispy, herb and garlic flavoured outside, these potatoes are de-lic-ious.
If you haven’t cooked with red potatoes before, they’re awesome. Not only do they have a vibrant red colour, but they have this waxy, creamy, perfect potato texture.
When buying them at the supermarket, you may find that they’re called “new potatoes.” If they’re red and small, you have the right ones. Calling them “new” simply means that they were harvested before reaching maturity.
Now comes the fun part! Once the potatoes are boiled, they’re ready to mash. With a large fork or potato masher, flatten the potatoes. Try not to press too hard, or they may fall apart. You want them to be flat but still in one piece.
With a drizzle of oil, garlic, thyme and parsley, your potatoes are ready to bake. Only a little bit of oil is needed to help give them those crave-worthy, crispy edges.
I love adding sauces and this dish is no different. With or without the aioli, these potatoes are yummy. But when you add a buttery aioli, it enhances the creamy potatoes, making them even more scrumptious.
Traditionally, aioli is made with a lot of oil, garlic and egg yolk. This skinnier version uses Greek yogurt instead of oil. It gives the sauce a creamy base, without all the fat. Adding a little mayonnaise mimics the egg yolk flavour and lemon, garlic, paprika, and saffron completes the sauce. In the end, you have a floral, crave-worthy sauce, perfect for crispy smashed potatoes.
Garlic Smashed Potatoes with Saffron Aioli
Looking for the perfect side dish? With a creamy, tender middle and a crisp and crunchy outside, these potatoes are a tasty addition to any meal. Serve it up with a skinny aioli and this dish is sure to impress.
Creamy Saffron Aioli Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon oil (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Crispy Potato Ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 pounds red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley, dried
- Place potatoes in a large pot. Cover with salted water and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool potatoes under cold water.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place potatoes on baking pan covered with parchment paper.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, carefully flatten potatoes until they are smashed, but still in one piece.
- In a small bowl combine oil, garlic, thyme and parsley. Drizzle mixture onto potatoes.
- Bake potatoes for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- In a small saucepan, boil 1 tablespoon of water. Remove from heat and add saffron. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Mix in Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and paprika. Cover and chill.
- Serve with saffron aioli and enjoy!
Note: If you prefer a light taste of oil, you can add a teaspoon for a more authentic flavour.
If you love potatoes, you may also enjoy Sweet Potato Chili
If you enjoy food with dips or sauces, you may also enjoy Corn Muffins with Creamy Lime Sauce
Have you tried Garlic Smashed Potatoes with Saffron Aioli? What’s your favourite side dish meal?