A rich and creamy pasta sauce with a smokey, sun dried tomato flavour.
With only four ingredients, this is one simple and delicious dinner. The combination of sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil, sautéed garlic and cottage cheese creates a truly luscious pasta sauce. Puréeing the sun dried tomatoes with sautéed garlic creates an almost smokey flavour. The basil adds a light pepper taste, which perfectly compliments the undeniably rich and creamy taste of cottage cheese. It’s amazing how puréeing cottage cheese into this recipe effortlessly replicates the flavours of a rich cream sauce.
Using jarred sun dried tomatoes makes this recipe even easier. Not only is opening a jar of sun dried tomatoes and throwing the whole thing into a food processor pretty much the easiest prep work ever, but since the tomatoes are already marinated in oil, there is no need to soften them. The sun dried tomato oil amplifies the richness of the sauce. You do not need to use all of the oil, simply adjust it to taste.
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta is so easy to prepare. Simply sauté the garlic with fresh basil. Cooking the garlic sweetens its flavours. While sautéeing fresh basil helps to wake up its natural flavours so they are at their peak of deliciousness before being puréed into a sauce.
Next, carefully add the garlic and basil to a food processor with the sun dried tomatoes and cottage cheese. When everything is puréed, you have a rich and creamy sauce, perfect for your favourite pasta noodles.
If the sauce is a little thick, add some pasta water to thin it out. Add only one tablespoon at a time. This helps to control the thinning process. When it’s all done, you’ll have a creamy pasta sauce filled with a rich, smoky tomato flavour.
- 1 (12 ounce) package pasta
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, jar with oil
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat sauté garlic for 1 to 2 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in basil, cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Carefully add to food processor.
- Add sun dried tomatoes and cottage cheese to food processor. Puree until sauce is smooth. If needed, add reserved pasta water, one tablespoon at a time to thin sauce.
- Add pasta to sauce. Plate and enjoy!
If you love pasta, you may also enjoy Creamy Avocado Pasta
Have you tried Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta? What’s your favourite pesto sauce? What’s your favourite pasta meal?