Looking for a healthy pasta sauce? Cottage Cheese Tomato Sauce is a rich and creamy tomato sauce with a hint of cheesy flavour. Plus, it’s ready in only 20 minutes.
I am a total carby. I love bread, pasta and rice and I could seriously eat them all day long. When it comes to carbs, there’s nothing as simple as pasta with tomato sauce. It can be the perfect quick dinner. Unfortunately, tomato sauce can sometimes get a bad rap – tasting boring, bland and totally blah.
Cottage Cheese Tomato Sauce is anything but bland, with pops of flavour from fresh basil, garlic, onion, balsamic vinegar, cottage cheese and red pepper flakes. This dish is the perfect combination of creamy, cheesy and richly flavoured tomato sauce.
Adding in balsamic vinegar kicks this sauce up a notch. It gives it a boost of flavour that’s almost unexpected. The light balsamic zing is amplified by the red pepper flakes. Without being spicy, Cottage Cheese Tomato Sauce packs a real flavour punch. The cottage cheese adds a light, creamy and almost Parmesan tasting flavour.
Cottage Cheese Tomato Sauce is a wonderful 20-minute meal. Indulge in a big bowl of pasta tonight. You deserve it!
- 1 package pasta
- 1 (28 ounce can) crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine cottage cheese and milk. Process until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions for 2 minutes. Add oregano, parsley, salt and red pepper flakes, cook for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and sugar, simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in basil, balsamic vinegar and cottage cheese mixture. Add cooked pasta. Toss to cover.
- Plate and enjoy!
If you love pasta, you may also enjoy Creamy Avocado Pasta
Have you tried Cottage Cheese Tomato Sauce? What’s your favourite pasta sauce?