Tender and flaky salmon fillet covered with a maple-sweetened, pistachio crust.
If you haven’t cooked with panko before, it’s a Japanese style of bread crumbs that’s light, crunchy and has a wonderfully crispy texture. Panko is a perfect topping for salmon. It helps keep the moisture in while baking, so the salmon stays rich and incredibly juicy.
Unlike traditional bread crumbs, panko is unflavoured, so it’s a real blank canvas. Changing the herbs and even throwing in a little pistachio completely changes the flavour. Panko is super simple to cook with and the results are consistently amazing!
Panko Pistachio Crusted Salmon is covered with a crispy, maple-sweetened pistachio crust. This dish may sound elegant, but it’s truly simple to make.
In less than 30 minutes you’ll enjoy an unbelievably tasty salmon that’s sure to impress. To start, combine maple syrup and Dijon mustard. The mustard helps to enhance the creaminess of the maple syrup without adding any cream, butter or margarine.
The crust is a combination of pistachio, panko, parsley, paprika and oil. Adding a little oil helps the panko become a little crunchier, which perfectly compliments the naturally crunchy pistachios.
Prepare the salmon by spreading the maple mixture over the fillet. Don’t worry if some of the sauce falls off, you’ll use it later. Next, sprinkle the panko mixture evenly on top of the fish. With a spoon, drizzle the extra maple mixture that pooled around the salmon. The maple glaze acts first as a glue, holding the crust in place, and then it sweetens the panko pistachio crust when it’s added on top.
With a delicately balanced combination of nutty pistachios, crispy panko, sweet maple syrup and creamy salmon, it’s hard not to love this decadent dish. After about 10 minutes in the oven, Panko Pistachio Crusted Salmon is ready to impress.
Panko Pistachio Crusted Salmon
Panko Pistachio Crusted Salmon is the perfect combination of nutty pistachios, crispy panko, sweet maple syrup and creamy salmon. When it’s all done, you’ll have a complex and richly flavoured fish. It’s delicious straight out of the oven or even cold the next day.
- 1 pound salmon, fillets
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 lemon, wedged (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, combine pistachio, panko, parsley, oil and paprika.
- In another bowl, combine maple and mustard.
- Place salmon on baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Spread the maple mixture evenly over the salmon. Top with pistachio panko mixture.
- Bake salmon for 10 to 12 minutes or until it flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve with lemon wedges and enjoy!
If you love salmon, you may also enjoy Roasted Panko Crusted Salmon
Have you tried Panko Pistachio Crusted Salmon? What’s your favourite salmon meal?