Rich and creamy pesto pasta with a wonderful nutty bite of flavour.
I love pesto. With a mix of fabulously fresh flavours, it tastes great on anything. From pizza to pasta and chicken to fish, pesto is super versatile. Plus, you can make it with almost anything. Try it with sun dried tomatoes, basil or avocados. Anyway way you make it, pesto is a quick, easy and crave-worthy sauce.
Traditional pesto sauce has a real nutty taste. To replicate that, Creamy Avocado Spinach Pesto is made with toasted almonds. Roasting the almonds enhances the nutty flavour, which permeates through the whole sauce. When it’s combined with avocados, spinach, basil, garlic, lemon and cottage cheese, you have a perfectly creamy sauce with an unbelievable nutty crunch.
When the sauce is done, sautéed mushroom and chopped tomatoes are added to the pasta. They add texture, colour, but most importantly flavour. The mushrooms enhance the creaminess of the sauce, while the tomatoes add a subtle sweet touch.
If you have any left over, Creamy Avocado Spinach Pesto lasts for three days in the fridge (maybe longer!). The combination of ingredients stops the avocados from turning brown. So you can enjoy the fresh flavour for many days to come.
- 1 (12 ounce) package pasta
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, sliced
- 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, fresh
- 1 clove garlic, quartered
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper. Evenly spread out almond slices. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip almond slices. Bake for 2 more minutes, or until desired colour.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine avocados, spinach, almonds, cottage cheese, basil, garlic and lemon juice. Process until well combined.
- In a medium saucepan, saute mushrooms for 3 to 5 minutes, or until they release their water.
- Transfer cooked pasta to serving bowl. Toss with sauce. Top with tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Plate and enjoy!
If you love avocado and spinach, you may also enjoy Strawberry Spinach Salad
If you love avocados, you may also enjoy Strawberry Guacamole
Do you love pasta? Have you tried Creamy Avocado Spinach Pesto?