Thinly sliced apples covered with chocolate, butterscotch, and coconut flakes.
Earlier this week, I shared pictures and stories from our family apple picking trip. We filled bags of fruit and were on the lookout for a perfect apple for my daughter to try. With all the leftover apples, in our house, I couldn’t wait to try some new apple recipes.
Chocolate Apple Nachos is a delicious way to enjoy fresh apples. Give them the candy apple treatment with a drizzle of chocolate, butterscotch, and coconut.
A wonderfully kid-friendly treat, Chocolate Apple Nachos are perfect for kids from 2 to 102. The best part, kids can help make it too! My three-year-old daughter had so much fun decorating the apples with candy, but first comes the adult (or kid supervised step).
To give the apples a thin, nacho-like consistency, cut the washed apples in quarters. Slice away the core and then thinly slice the apples. This way the apples have a thin, uniform thickness, like a nacho chip. You can arrange the apple slices on the plate, so they are ready to decorate.
Next, you’ll want to melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in the microwave. Place the chips in their own, small microwaveable bowl. To temper the chocolate and butterscotch, microwave each in 15-second intervals. Gently stir before microwaving again. Once the chocolate and butterscotch are melted, you can begin drizzling it on the apple slices.
My three-year-old daughter had so much fun with this part. She would look for any apple slices that were mostly bare and cover them with chocolate and butterscotch. Some were drizzled, while others were brushed with the melted candy. When the apple slices are perfectly covered, you can sprinkle them with coconut flakes.
Each piece of Chocolate Apple Nachos tastes like the perfect bite of candy apple. With a tasty balance of crunchy apple, chocolate, butterscotch and coconut, you can indulge in your sweet tooth and enjoy every bite of it.
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butterscotch chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut flakes
- Thinly slice apples and place on serving plate.
- Place chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 15-second intervals. Mix in between. Set aside when melted.
- Melt butterscotch chips the same way as the chocolate. Place butterscotch chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 15-second intervals and mix in between. Set aside when melted.
- Drizzle apple slices with melted chocolate and melted butterscotch. Sprinkle with coconut flakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you love apples, you may also enjoy Apple Honey Cake
Have you tried Chocolate Apple Nachos? What’s your favourite apple treat?