Savoury spiced rice with sautéed onions, garlic, and beans.
Some days, you just need a quick and easy throw together meal. Mexican Rice and Black Beans Bowl is that easy meal. Throw a few ingredients in a pot and let the rice make itself.
Filled with a little pop of chilli flavour, this is a savoury, comforting meal. It can be the perfect side dish when you serve it with chicken or fish. Or, it can be a wonderfully satisfying meal on its own.
Comforting, delicious and all served in one dish. Mexican Rice and Black Beans Bowl is a simple and tasty one bowl meal.
Taste aside, Mexican Rice and Black Beans Bowl is actually really healthy. Made with brown rice, onions, garlic, and black beans, this tasty rice bowl is truly a complete meal. High in fiber, magnesium, and selenium, brown rice is a wholesome grain that can reduce the risk of heart disease and high cholesterol.
Onions and garlic are also incredibly healthy. Packed with chromium and vitamin C, these veggies can even help improve your immune system.
Black beans are a tasty vegetarian protein. High in fiber, potassium and folate, black beans are a heart healthy legume.
Perfect for lunch or dinner, Mexican Rice and Black Beans Bowl is a wonderful meal or side dish. Indulge in a healthy rice bowl. You deserve it!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups onion, diced (1/2 onion)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- In a heavy skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Carefully add rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable broth, tomato paste, beans, chilli powder, salt and oregano.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. If there is still liquid, uncover and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork when done.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you love rice bowls, you may also enjoy Skinny Salmon “Fried” Rice
Have you tried Mexican Rice and Black Beans Bowl? What’s your favourite rice dish? What’s your favourite Mexican dish?