Fluffy chocolate cupcakes with a creamy milk chocolate frosting.
I love birthdays. Whether we are celebrating my birthday, my husband’s, or my three-year-old daughter’s, birthdays are always a fun time in our house. We enjoy them so much, we even celebrate half birthdays.
If you haven’t celebrated a half birthday before, it’s that special day, six months between birthdays. Since one year can feel like a really long time when you’re young, we celebrate my daughter’s half birthday every year.
To celebrate, we have a small family dinner at home and the birthday girl gets to choose the meal and the dessert. A birthday just isn’t a birthday without dessert!
This past week, my daughter turned three and a half. Wow, she’s growing up way too fast. Every day she shows us more of herself. With stories and ever-changing interests, this kid is growing right before our eyes.
When I asked my daughter what she wanted to eat on her half birthday, she said chocolate cupcakes. Yep, she’s my kid. Another generation of chocolate lovers in this house.
Double Chocolate Cupcakes are a chocolate lover’s dream! With light and fluffy cake batter and sweet, milk chocolate frosting, these cupcakes are seriously tasty.
Unlike many chocolate cupcakes, Double Chocolate Cupcakes are moist. Made with maple syrup, Greek yogurt, and milk, these cupcakes have a creamy, airy texture with a fudgy, chocolatey flavour. It’s hard not to love these skinny sweet treats.
Enjoy them on their own, or with sprinkles on top. Any way you eat them, Double Chocolate Cupcakes are decadently delicious.
- CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons egg whites
- CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE ICING INGREDIENTS
- 1 1/2 cups low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, combine maple syrup, yogurt, milk, and egg whites.
- Add maple syrup mixture to flour one. Mix to combine.
- Fill muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Evenly spoon batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- To prepare the icing, combine cream cheese, sugar, yogurt, and cocoa in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Decorate cupcakes with frosting and sprinkles. Plate and enjoy!
If you love chocolate, you may also enjoy Two Bite Brownies
If you love cupcakes, you may also enjoy Yummy Vanilla Cupcakes
Do you celebrate half birthdays? Have you tried Double Chocolate Cupcakes? What’s your favourite birthday or half birthday food?