With a lightly sweetened barbecue flavour, this crisp and crunchy snack is perfect any time of the day.
BBQ Roasted Chickpeas are a wonderful guiltless snack. Forget about popcorn or potato chips, when chickpeas are baked and seasoned with a smoky, lightly sweetened BBQ flavour, they become a truly savoury treat.
If you haven’t tried roasted chickpeas before, they are a-maz-ing. With a few simple steps, you can enjoy a crunchy, savoury, guilt-free snack.
First, you’ll want to rinse the chickpeas and pat them dry with paper towel. The drier the chickpeas are, the better they’ll bake. So you’ll want them to be dry to the touch. If any chickpea skin comes off while drying, remove it. Otherwise, it will crisp up while baking. Yum!
To help the chickpeas become a little crispier, spread them on a parchment covered baking pan and toss them with olive oil and salt. You don’t need a lot of oil, just a small amount will give them that crispy, crunchy texture. Now they are ready to roast.
When they are fresh out of the oven, toss the chickpeas with barbecue seasoning. This seasoning is a tasty combination of lightly sweetened barbecue flavouring with a hint of spice. It so perfectly pairs with crispy chickpeas, you can’t help but enjoy one after another. Luckily chickpeas are high in protein and low in fat.
BBQ Roasted Chickpeas
BBQ Roasted Chickpeas are amazing fresh out of the oven – crunchy, salty and full of flavour. As they cool, the chickpeas become a little chewier and their natural nutty flavour heightens. Enjoy them on their own, in a soup or even on a salad, roasted chickpeas are wonderful any way.
- 2 (19 ounce) cans of chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
BBQ Seasoning Ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Drain and rinse chickpeas in a strainer. Pat dry with a paper towel or dish towel.
- Place chickpeas on baking pan covered with parchment paper. Cover with oil and salt. Mix well.
- Bake for 35 to 50 minutes. Stir after for 20 minutes and then every 10 minutes afterwards. Be careful not to let the chickpeas burn.
- Combine BBQ seasoning in a small bowl.
- When chickpeas are done, toss with BBQ seasoning.
If you love chickpeas, you may also enjoy Skinny Homemade Hummus
If you love desserts or snack food, you may also enjoy Two Bite Brownies
Have you tried BBQ Roasted Chickpeas? Do you enjoy chick peas? What’s your favourite savoury treat?