Fluffy muffins perfectly sweetened with fresh cherries and chocolate chips.
If you have the Monday blues, these Chocolate Cherry Muffins are sure to perk you up. Cherries are just perfect right now. We were lucky to get a bunch of them fresh off the tree.
This is the second cherry recipe I made from our fun cherry picking excursions. (Read more about it and enjoy these Skinny Cherry Pie Bars.) With all of the low hanging branches on our friends’ cherry tree, my toddler-sized daughter had a blast picking ripe, delicious cherries right off the tree.
You don’t need to use freshly picked cherries for these muffins. Any cherries would be yummy, especially when they’re combined with ooey gooey chocolate chips!
Chocolate and cherries were just made for muffins. Each muffin tastes like a delectable little cake. Your taste buds won’t believe that these are really low fat. The combination of greek yogurt, milk, and apple sauce give these muffins their fluffy, moist texture. They are so good, they disappeared a little too quickly in our house.
Chocolate Cherry Muffins
Chocolate and cherries go perfectly together, especially when they are combined in these low fat muffins. If you think they look delicious, they taste even better.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cups cherries, diced
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl combine wet ingredients: yogurt, maple syrup, apple sauce, milk, egg whites, and vanilla.
- Pour wet mixture into dry. Stir just enough to blend. Gently fold in cherries and chocolate chips.
- Coat muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill each tin.
- Bake muffins for 17 to 20 minutes, or until muffin tops are lightly browned.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin.
If you love muffins, you may also enjoy Skinny Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Do you enjoy chocolate and cherries? Have you tried Chocolate Cherry Muffins? What are you favourite muffins?