Indulge in the super delicious flavors of Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole. With a tasty combination of bread soaked in an egg mixture, topped with cinnamon sugar, and baked to perfection, it’s perfect for easy weekend breakfasts or holiday morning treats!
Weekends and holidays call for something extra special. That’s where Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole swoops in. It bring a touch of magic to your weekends or holiday celebrations. And it starts your day off the right way.
So you can wake up on a leisurely morning, knowing that a delicious breakfast awaits. The amazing aroma of cinnamon and vanilla fill your home, while breakfast cooks, and you can simply sip your coffee and relax.
Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole is a game-changer for easy weekend mornings. With just a little bit of prep the night before, you can transform simple ingredients into a wonderful breakfast.
So, whether it’s a lazy Sunday or a special family gathering, breakfast can be easier than ever. And if you love breakfast for dinner, Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole is the perfect easy meal. It can be ready and waiting for you, even on your busiest nights.
A Tasty Twist on a Classic Dish
French toast isn’t just a classic, delicious breakfast dish. It’s actually stood the test of time. From ancient civilizations to modern kitchens, this tasty dish is a staple all over the world.
Way back in the day, some genius cook figured out that stale, day old bread can be transformed into a breakfast marvel. And voila! French toast was born.
The ancient Romans had their version, medieval Europeans got creative with their own, and the love for this scrumptious dish spread like wildfire.
Today, we can make this classic dish easier than ever. And that’s where Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole comes in. There’s no need to flip individual slices. It’s all about simplicity and ease.
When French toast is made as a casserole, you can prep it the night before, and make your meal easier than even. Just pop it in the oven, and within no time, you’ve got a golden-brown, mouthwatering creation ready to be devoured.
The Secret to Making Delicious French Toast
When it comes to making delicious, mouth-watering good French toast – it’s all about the soak!
READY TO MAKE DINNER FASTER?
Our helpful guide shares the 3 simple steps to making dinner easier, plus tasty recipes too. It's a game changer - get our FREE guide for a limited time!
If you want that tasty, custardy texture, and rich flavor it’s all about giving your bread time to soak in the egg mixture. The longer, the better! When you let the bread fully absorb the eggy goodness, you’re creating a symphony of oh-so-tasty flavors.
Now, here’s the secret to the overnight part – patience!
Let your French toast rest in the fridge overnight. This magical time lets the flavors meld, the bread tender, and the overall deliciousness reach its peak.
Is Overnight French Toast Soggy?
No one wants soggy french toast. Rest assured, Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole won’t turn out soggy. In fact, it should be the opposite—soft, custardy, and full of flavor!
The key is finding the perfect balance between soaking and cooking the bread.
Here are some simple tips for tasty french toast:
- Use the right bread: Use a bread that can hold up to the soaking process without disintegrating. Sturdy bread like challah, brioche, sourdough, or even day-old French bread is best.
- Soak the bread: Give your bread a generous soak in the egg mixture. Allow the bread to sit in the mixture, giving it enough time to soak up the flavors.
- Bake until fully cooked: Bake the casserole until it is golden brown and set in the center. While baking, the egg mixture cooks, giving the French toast a creamy middle and a lightly crispy top.
What is the best bread for french toast?
You want to use a bread with a slightly denser texture. This helps it hold up to the soaking process, giving it that delicious moist, custardy final dish.
Here are a few tasty bread options:
- Challah: With its slightly sweet and eggy flavor, challah is an excellent choice. Its dense and fluffy interior absorbs the egg mixture, making a wonderfully moist and flavorful French toast.
- Brioche: This rich and buttery bread is a popular choice for French toast. Its soft texture and high egg and butter content makes a decadent French toast.
- French Bread: A day-old French bread with a crusty exterior and a soft interior can also work wonders. Its slightly chewy texture adds a tasty contrast to the custardy center.
- Sourdough: If you prefer a tangy twist, sourdough bread is a fantastic option. Its sturdy structure and unique flavor makes the dish even more delicious.
So, whether you choose challah, brioche, French bread, or sourdough, you’ll have a delicious Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole!
A Tasty Dish for Breakfast, Brunch or Even Dinner
Of course you can enjoy Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole for breakfast or brunch. But, it’s also so tasty for dinner. Yes, dinner.
And if you’ve never had breakfast for dinner, it’s about to become your new favorite mealtime tradition.
Just imagine the rich smell of cinnamon and vanilla filling your kitchen as dinner bakes in your oven.
So, let’s break the dinner routine and embrace the joy of French Toast for dinner. And enjoy a ready-made meal that’s just waiting for you to pop in the oven.
Can you make Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole as a freezer meal?
Absolutely! Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole is a perfect freezer meal. And it’s a total lifesaver for busy days or when you want to plan ahead and have a delicious readymade breakfast.
Start by preparing your casserole. But, instead of making it in a casserole dish, you can make it in a disposable tin foil pan. It’s perfect for freezing and it makes cleanup even easier.
Now, cover the casserole with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. You want to keep it nice and tight to prevent any air from entering and you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
When it’s time to make the meal, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, remove the plastic wrap and foil and cook the casserole according to the recipe directions.
Voila! You’ve just transformed Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole into a freezer meal. Now you can enjoy it at anytime. It’s like having a cozy breakfast waiting for you whenever you need it.
If you’re new to freezer cooking, I have a secret weapon to share with you—Meals in Minutes. This treasure trove of resources is a true game-changer. It’s jam-packed with meal plans, handy shopping lists, freezer labels, and so much more. Consider it your trusty sidekick for creating a stash of up to three months of tasty meals. How amazing is that?
With just a little prep and the help of Meals in Minutes, you can have a freezer full of delicious dishes to make dinner a breeze. It’s like having your own personal chef—minus the fancy hat, of course.
So, get ready to make dinner a piece of cake (or should I say, a mouthwatering French toast casserole).
Ingredients for Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole
Let’s gather the goodies for Overnight French Toast Casserole! With just a handful of simple ingredients, you can make a truly delicious breakfast treat.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bread – Choose your favorite bread, whether it’s a classic challah, brioche, french bread, or sourdough. The bread will soak up all those delicious flavors, creating a heavenly texture.
- Eggs – The backbone of any French toast recipe, eggs provide richness and a lovely custardy texture to the casserole.
- Milk – Whether you prefer low fat milk, almond milk, or another variety, it adds a creamy element and enhances the overall richness.
- Pure maple syrup – This natural sweetener brings a touch of sweetness, infusing the casserole with that classic maple flavor.
- Vanilla extract – Just a splash of vanilla extract adds a heavenly aroma and depth of flavor to the French toast.
- Cinnamon – That warm and cozy spice that brings that quintessential French toast flavor.
- Brown sugar – For a touch of caramel-like sweetness, a sprinkle of brown sugar does the trick. It adds depth and richness to the casserole.
- Salt – Just a pinch of salt balances the flavors and brings out the natural sweetness of the ingredients.
How to Make Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole
Get ready for a breakfast sensation! Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole is a delightful treat that’s perfect for lazy weekends. The best part, you can prepare it the night before and have a delicious breakfast waiting for you in the morning!
So, let’s get cooking!
Step 1: Prep the Baking Dish
Start by greasing a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. You want to make sure your French toast doesn’t stick and comes out in that perfect casserole form.
Then, evenly place the bread cubes in the dish, so they’re ready to soak up all that flavorful goodness.
Step 2: Mix Up the French Toast Ingredients
In a large bowl, add the remaining French toast ingredients—eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Mix it all together until well combined and pour the mixture over the bread. Give it a gentle stir, ensuring that every piece of bread is nicely coated.
Step 3: Create the Irresistible Topping
Now, it’s time to take things up a notch. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients—brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix it up until you have a perfect blend of sweet and spice. Sprinkle the topping over the casserole, evenly covering it with a layer of deliciousness.
Step 4: Choose Your Timing
Now, it’s decision time and there are a couple of options. You can cover the casserole, pop it in the fridge, and let it work its magic overnight. This option is perfect for those mornings when you want to minimize prep time.
Or, if you want to enjoy it sooner, you can let the casserole rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes before baking.
Step 5: Bake to Perfection
When you’re ready to enjoy your French toast, preheat your oven to 425°F (230°C). Bake the casserole for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is set.
Whether you’ve prepared it the night before or let it rest in the fridge for a short while, this casserole is the perfect way to start your day.
Overnight French Toast Flavor Twists
There are so many tasty ways to change up this delicious Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole recipe. Here are some tasty ways that you can mix it up:
- Berry Bliss Overnight French Toast: Cover the casserole with fresh blueberries, sliced strawberries, or raspberries (or even all three!) before or just after baking for a delicious pop of fruity flavor.
- Zesty Citrus French Toast: Add lemon or orange zest to the egg mixture, infusing your French Toast with a refreshing citrusy twist.
- Nutty Pecan Overnight French Toast: Sprinkle a generous amount of chopped raw pecans over the French toast just before baking, adding a delightful crunch and irresistible nuttiness.
- Chocolate Banana French Toast: Layer slices of ripe bananas and chocolate chips between the bread cubes before pouring the egg mixture. The combination of creamy chocolate and sweet bananas will create a decadent French Toast experience.
- Bacon and Cheddar Overnight French Toast: Cover the casserole with pieces of cooked bacon and shredded cheddar cheese. The smoky bacon and melted cheddar will create a savory and indulgent French Toast experience.
What can you serve with Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole?
When it comes to sides, there are so many tasty options. So, get ready to take your meal to the next level!
Of course, there’s the classic breakfast meats – crispy bacon, sizzling sausage, or savory ham. And those tasty eggs. Whether scrambled, sunny-side-up, or even an omelet, eggs are the perfect companions to French toast. Talk about a match made in breakfast heaven!
You can also serve the casserole with a bowl of berries, like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries. The natural sweetness balance out the richness of the casserole. And they taste so good together.
If you want to indulge in something creamy, you can also serve it with a yogurt parfait! Layer yogurt with crunchy granola and fresh fruits. The tanginess of the yogurt complements the sweet and custardy French Toast Casserole like a dream.
For a touch of freshness, you can add a green salad to your spread. Toss together fresh lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and your favorite dressing. It’s a healthy addition to the comforting flavors of the casserole.
So, whether you serve it with breakfast meats, eggs, berries, yogurt, or a green salad—you can mix and match to your heart’s content! And make your meal even more delicious.
What can you do with leftover Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole?
When you have leftovers, there’s only two good options. You can either enjoy them as is. Or you can turn them into another delicious dish.
Before they can become another dish, you need to store them properly. Once cooled, simply add the casserole to an airtight container and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
But, if you’re not going to use it right away, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Just remember to thaw it in the fridge overnight before making it in a new dish.
Now, let’s makes some new, tasty dishes from those scrumptious leftovers!
- French Toast Casserole Parfait: Layer chunks of the leftover casserole with yogurt and top with fresh berries or sliced fruits. Repeat the layers and create a delicious parfait. It makes for a satisfying breakfast or dessert.
- French Toast Croutons: Cut the leftover casserole into small cubes and toast them in the oven until they become crispy. These croutons can be used as a crunchy topping for salads or soups, adding a unique twist to your dishes.
- French Toast Ice Cream Sundae: Cut the leftover casserole into bite-sized cubes and use them as a base for an indulgent ice cream sundae. Layer the cubes with your favorite ice cream flavors, drizzle with caramel or chocolate sauce, and top with whipped cream, nuts, or sprinkles. It’s a sweet treat with a twist.
After you make Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole, add a comment below and give it a star rating! I love hearing how much your family enjoys it, too.
HUNGRY FOR MORE QUICK & EASY RECIPES?
Join our Dinner Made Easy Newsletter to get tasty recipes, meal planning tips, kitchen hacks, and more in your inbox each week! Plus, find me sharing fast and delicious meals on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole (30 Minute Meal)
A quick and easy homemade baked french toast casserole covered with a cinnamon and sugar topping. Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole is a family favorite dish. You can make it ahead and refrigerate it overnight or you can bake it today for a delicious meal. Enjoy it for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 loaf of day old challah, French bread, brioche, or sour dough, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cover a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Everly place the bread cubes in the dish.
- In a large bowl, add the remaining french toast ingredients: eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Mix to combine and pour evenly over the bread. Carefully stir the bread, so it’s evenly covered with the egg mixture.
- In a small bowl, add the topping ingredients: brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix to combine and evenly drizzle over the casserole.
- Now, you can cover the casserole, refrigerate it overnight, and bake in the morning. Or you can let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes and then bake it today.
- When you are ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 425°F (230°C). Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and the casserole is set.
- Feel free to add your favorite mix-ins to the casserole. Whether it’s fresh fruit, chocolate chips, diced or chopped nuts, they can take your French toast to a whole new level of yumminess.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave or gently warm them in the oven.
- Serving Size: 1/8 casserole
- Calories: 246.83kca
- Sugar: 14.18g
- Sodium: 340.51mg
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.82g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.68g
- Trans Fat: 8.4g
- Carbohydrates: 31.98g
- Fiber: 1.09g
- Protein: 9.47g
- Cholesterol: 171.71mg
READY TO MAKE DINNER FASTER?
Make dinner a breezer with our helpful guide. It shares the 3 simple steps to making dinner easier, plus tasty recipes too. It's a game changer - get our FREE guide for a limited time!