Cheesy, savoury and packed with all the flavours of your favourite pizza.
Like most people, I love pizza. It tastes great any time of the day – morning or night. Or even in the middle of the night. When the flavours of pizza are packed into a muffin, it becomes the perfect single-serving treat.
Imagine a deep dish pizza crossed with a light, flaky muffin and that’s what these Healthy Pizza Muffins taste like. With cheese infused dough, sautéed mushrooms, and a light cheese and tomato sauce topping, these pizza muffins are tasty! But they are also healthy. Made with fat free cheese, yogurt, milk, and egg whites, your taste buds won’t believe that these muffins are healthy. Don’t you love when that happens!!
These muffins are also an instant hit with kids – they taste like pizza after all. I can’t decide who enjoyed these muffins more, me or my toddler daughter. We both wanted another after another. I guess we’re all kids at heart!
Healthy Pizza Muffins
Healthy Pizza Muffins make the perfect snack, appetizer, side dish, or just because. Your family will love these delicious, healthy treats.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons egg whites
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup pressed fat free cottage cheese, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté mushrooms in oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until they release water. Set aside when done.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, oregano, basil, garlic, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl combine egg whites, milk, and yogurt.
- Pour wet mixture into dry. Stir just enough to blend. Gently stir in cheese and mushrooms.
- Coat muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill each tin.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of pizza sauce and 1 teaspoon of cheese on top of each muffin.
- Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes, or until muffin tops are lightly browned.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin.
If you love savoury muffins, you may also enjoy Corn Muffins with Creamy Lime Sauce.
My favourite pizza is mushroom and cheese, so that’s how these muffins are filled. If you have another favourite topping, give it a try! Let me know how it turns out. Have you tried pizza muffins? What do you think?