Sweet and savoury barbecue sauce that’s delicious with dinner or as a homemade gift.
With Father’s Day just around the corner, now is the perfect time to share the gift that we made for the grandfather’s last year. As you may know, I love homemade gifts. There’s something so special about those crafty, one-of-a-kind presents.
Around this time last year, my daughter, who was then one and half years old, was really interested in cooking. Whenever I was making something in the kitchen, she always wanted to be involved. Making a barbecue sauce seemed like the perfect idea. She could help pour all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them together. This barbecue sauce is just that easy – pour everything into a bowl, mix it together and you are done! Easy peasy!
Homemade barbecue Sauce tastes delicious on everything. You can enjoy it on fish, chicken, wings, steaks, burgers, meatloaf, pizza, french fries and more. Every time we make this sauce, everyone devours it. Whether you use it on the barbecue, in the oven, or on its own, this sauce is sure to please.
Made from many household staples, Homemade Barbecue Sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and savoury. With a honey-sweetened tomato base, this barbecue sauce is given a tart and tangy pop of flavour from Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar. Adding in Worcestershire sauce gives it a great meaty appeal. Finally, the mix of spices rounds out the flavour, making it one versatile sauce.
Now comes the gift part. To make this present extra special, I decided to give this homemade sauce a custom label. I designed it in photoshop and incorporated a picture of my daughter. As you can see in the picture below, the photo has a fun, hand-drawn appearance. I created it on a site called Funny Pho.to. The site is free to use. All you have to do is upload your photo and the site does the rest. In the end, you have a sketch drawn image, perfect for any sauce label.
You may also see that I named the sauce Kaylee’s Kickin’ BBQ Sauce, but there’s nothing hot or spicy about this sauce. It’s just a fun, gimmicky name that I thought the grandparents’ would just eat up. Pun intended!
To give the label a more authentic appearance, I added in an ingredients list as well as a blurb about the chef, a.k.a. my daughter. If you would like to customize the label for yourself, here is the link for the photoshop version of the Homemade BBQ Sauce label. You can add your own picture, change the name of the sauce, and even write your own blurb.
I’ve also included a generic version of the label. With this label, you don’t need to use photoshop or any other computer program. All you have to do is click on the link (or the picture below) and download the pdf version of the Homemade BBQ Sauce label. Then you’ll want to print the label, trim the edges, and glue it onto your bottle.
To keep the label looking clean, I like to add the sauce to the bottle first before gluing the label on. This way, there’s no chance that any barbecue sauce will accidentally spill on the label.Print
Homemade Barbecue Sauce Gift
A quick and easy barbecue sauce that has a tasty combination of sweet and savory. Homemade Barbecue Sauce tastes great on everything. From chicken to meat and even fish, this sauce is sure to please. With a custom made label, this delicious sauce becomes an even sweeter gift.
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine ketchup, honey, mustard, Worcestershire sauce. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, paprika, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Make sure that the glass container is clean on the inside and outside.
- Pour barbecue sauce into the container. Wipe away any spills.
- Using scissors, trim away the excess paper around the label. Measure the label on the container to see if it needs any extra trimming.
- Once the size is just right, cover the entire backside of the label with a glue stick. Carefully place the label around the container.
- Add a strip of clear tape to the back of the label. This way, even the corners stay in place.
- Refrigerate the sauce until you are ready to give it as a gift.