Toasted bread cups filled with eggs, sautéed mushrooms, roasted red peppers and cheese.
There’s nothing like brunch food. It tastes like a lazy morning – eating at noon and relaxing the day away. Whether you’re still in your pyjamas or dressed to impress, Mushroom Omelet Bread Cups are a perfect weekend treat.
They may look like mini quiches, but Mushroom Omelet Bread Cups are a much healthier alternative. Instead of pie crust, there’s bread and instead of cream, there’s cottage cheese. To makes these omelet bread cups even healthier, they’re baked with egg whites.
Whether you’re hosting an afternoon party or you’re making brunch for the family, this simple and healthy meal is sure to impress. Each cup is filled with bread, veggies, eggs and cheese. When you bake everything together in the oven, the bread cups crisp up like toast, the eggs are soft and creamy and the omelet fillings are perfectly flavoured. Together, Mushroom Omelet Bread Cups taste like a dreamy breakfast treat.
Mushroom Omelet Bread Cups may look fancy, but they’re really simple to make. Simply sauté your favourite omelet toppings. Since mushroom omelets are my favourite, I sauté mushrooms and roasted red peppers. Feel free to customize these mini omelets with your favourite toppings. You’ll want a total of 1/2 to 3/4 cup of omelet toppings for your six bread cups. You can choose any veggie or meat. Make it to your taste.
Next, combine egg whites and cottage cheese in a food processor. The cottage cheese adds a rich, cream-like flavour for the eggs. It also makes the Mushroom Omelet Bread Cups even cheesier. Yum!
Finally, choose your favourite bread and remove the crust. I use light rye bread – it’s healthier than white bread and has a light, pleasing flavour. Carefully press the bread into a muffin tin. Fill the bread cups with your omelet toppings, shredded cheese and the egg mixture. Bake for 20 minutes and you have a perfect brunch meal.Print
Mushroom Omelet Bread Cups
Looking for a fresh brunch meal? Mushroom Omelet Bread Cups are perfectly baked in the oven and ready in under 40 minutes. They’re delicious, healthy and sure to impress.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 12 bread cups 1x
- 6 pieces of bread
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté mushrooms in oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until they release water. Add red peppers and cook for 1 minute. Set aside when done.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a food processor, combine eggs and cottage cheese.
- Coat muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Trim crust from bread and press one slice into each muffin tin. Try covering as much of the sides of the tin as possible
- Evenly spoon mushroom mixture into each bread cup.
- Cover with cheese and egg mixture.
- Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes, or until muffin tops are firm.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin.
If you love brunch food, you may also enjoy Maple Mini Muffin Pancakes
If you love muffin meals, you may also enjoy Corn Muffins with Creamy Lime Sauce.
Have you tried Mushroom Omelet Bread Cups? How did you fill your omelet cups? What’s your favourite omlete filling?