An adorable homemade gift perfect for mother’s day, father’s day or just because day.
When it comes to gift giving, I love homemade presents. Those crafty, one-of-a-kind presents make the gift extra special. This past mother’s day, my two-year-old daughter and I decided to give the traditional flower gift a fun new twist. Instead of buying a bouquet of flowers for each of her grandmothers, we decided to give a potted flower a little personal touch.
Polka Dot Fingerprint Flower Pots are the perfect homemade crafty gift. They’re great for kids of any age – from toddlers to those young at heart. There’s something so cheerful about polka dots. They have a playful youthful feel that’s just so perfect for flowers. You just can’t help but smile.
These polka dots are even more adorable. They are made with fingerprints. That’s right! No special brush is needed, just your finger. Using your finger (or a toddler’s finger) each dot is perfectly imperfect. I love that some dots are nicely round while others are little blobs of colour.
Polka Dot Fingerprint Flower Pots are really easy to make. To prepare the planters, soak them in warm water first. This helps the pot retain some moisture, which is helpful for the flower or plant. Let it sit in water for one hour and then brush away any leftover residue. Once the pot is dry, it’s ready to paint.
When you’re painting a terra cotta planter, it’s best to lightly thin the paint with a little water. Thinned paint is less likely to clump and streak, giving the pot a more even finish.
With three coats of paint, the Polka Dot Fingerprint Flower Pots has a nearly perfect even colour. It only needed some minor touch ups. In the picture above you can see how much each coat improved the appearance of the planters.
Making the fingerprint polka dots was so much fun. My daughter cheered each time she made a little polka dot on the pot. Simply dip your finger into some paint between making each dot. This helps create a more uniform shape and avoid faded edges. Alternate paint colours to give the planter a colourful, playful appearance.
When the pot is all done, spray it with a clear, water-resistant finish. This protects the planter from being damaged when the flower or plant is watered. I used Krylon ColorMaster Clear/Transparent spray. It has a bit of an odour, so you’ll want to spray it outside. Once it’s dry, the planter will have a beautiful, glossy finish.
The flowering plant we used for our Polka Dot Fingerprint Flower Pots is called a Kalanchoe. I love the thick green leaves and little fuchsia pink flowers. Whatever plant you choose, Polka Dot Fingerprint Flower Pots make a wonderful gift for yourself or someone you love.Print
Polka Dot Fingerprint Flower Pot
Looking for a beautiful homemade gift? Polka Dot Fingerprint Flower Pot is a cheerful gift for anyone you love.
- Terra cotta planter
- Five acrylic paint colors (4 complimentary colors and white)
- Sponge brush
- Plastic bowl
- Wax paper
- Soak the terra cotta planters in warm water for 1 hour. Brush away any debris.
- Place planters on wax paper.
- Add some white paint to a plastic bowl. Thin the paint with a little water. Mix until well combined with a sponge brush.
- Evenly apply the first coat of paint. When it’s dry, apply the remaining coats of paint.
- Add paint colour to a plastic bowl. Using your finger, place dots of paint onto the planter. Alternate colours and evenly place dots.
- Slowly swirl the colours around the base. Twist and turn vase. Add more colours as needed.
- Let planter completely dry.
- Spray with a clear, water-resistant finish.
- When dry, add a potted plant
- Display the finished vase or gift it to someone you love!