Fluffy cottage cheese muffins packed with herbs, sun-dried tomatoes and sautéed mushrooms.
Muffins are simply the perfect size for a quick snack, dessert or side dish. Whether they’re sweet, savoury or something in between, muffins are a wonderful treat.
Unlike many carb-heavy muffins, these muffins are equal parts flour and cottage cheese/egg whites. The flour gives the muffins a bread-like texture, while the combination of egg whites and cottage cheese gives the muffins their light and fluffy consistency.
Savoury Cottage Cheese Muffins are flavour packed. The cottage cheese dough is infused with basil, which perfectly balances the sun-dried tomatoes and sautéed mushrooms and onions that are mixed throughout.
Sautéing the mushrooms and onions truly impacts the flavour of the muffins. It allows the mushrooms to release some of their water and develop a sharper flavour. While the onions become sweeter and have a less biting taste. Together, the mushrooms and onions, both soften and amplify the flavour of the muffins.
With a balance of cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and basil, these muffins have a focaccia bread flavour. Combining the onions and mushrooms with sun-dried tomatoes not only adds texture to the muffins, it also increases the savoury, pizza-like flavour.Print
Savoury Cottage Cheese Muffins
Your home will smell like a pizzeria while the Savoury Cottage Cheese Muffins bake to perfection in your oven. Enjoy the flavours (and smells) of cheese and oregano infused dough with a sprinkling of sun-dried tomatoes and sautéed onions and mushrooms throughout.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté mushrooms and onion in oil for 5 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cottage cheese, flour, eggs, baking powder, basil, and salt. Gently fold in sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions.
- Coat muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill each tin.
- Bake muffins for 25 to 30 minutes, or until muffin tops are lightly browned.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin.
If you love savoury muffins, you may also enjoy Healthy Pizza Muffins
If you love cheesy food, you may also enjoy Cheese Gnocchi
Have you tried Savoury Cottage Cheese Muffins? What’s your favourite pizza flavoured snack? Do you have a favourite muffin or savoury treat?