Sweet potatoes, beans, and a medley of vegetables in a rich tomato based sauce. Stovetop Sweet Potato Chili is the perfect warm-up dish for a cold night.
The days are getting shorter and nights are getting colder and colder. Winter is definitely coming. (Not in a Game of Thrones sort of way, but winter is almost here).
On a cold day, there’s nothing like comfort food. Sure, you can have a hearty bowl of soup or comforting pasta, but there’s nothing like chili.
Stovetop Sweet Potato Chili warms you from the inside out. With each bite, you can enjoy a medley of vegetables, herbs, and spices that combine to create a truly comforting dish.
Sweet Potato Chili is definitely not a super spicy, suffer while you eat chili. No one will be running for water after taking a bite. With a subtle amount of chili spice and a mix of vegetables, beans and herbs, everyone can enjoy this mildly spiced meal.
Less spice doesn’t mean less flavour – when the rich tomato base is combined with oregano, cilantro and chili, it creates a full-flavoured sauce perfect for a wintery day (or a cold autumn one!)
You don’t need to be a vegetarian to enjoy Stovetop Sweet Potato Chili. With a hearty mix of vegetables and beans, carnivore-lovers can enjoy this hearty dish.
The vegetables in this chili are exactly what you’d want them to be. They’re soft enough to easily pick up with a fork, but still firm enough to retain their natural shape. Plus, with a mix of black and kidney beans, this chili will leave you satisfied, even if you want a second helping!
Sweet Potato Chili is truly a quick and easy meal. Simply chop up the vegetables and simmer them in a large pot with tomatoes, beans, water, and tomato paste.
As the vegetables soften, the flavours meld together into a chili-tastic sensation, perfect for a vegetarian or Meatless Monday dinner. Before you know it, dinner is served!
Looking for the perfect dish to serve with Stovetop Sweet Potato Chili?
- 10 Minute Marinara Sauce
- Mexican Rice and Black Beans Bowl
- Avocado Mediterranean Salad
- Apple Beer Bread
- The Best Two Bite Brownies
Sweet Potato Chili
Mildly spiced, but perfectly flavoured, Sweet Potato Chili is an ideal vegetarian or Meatless Monday meal. It can keep you warm all winter long.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 to 6 1x
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, dried
- 2 cans (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add sweet potato, onion, and zucchini. Saute for 6 to 7 minutes, or until onions soften.
- Stir in garlic, chili, oregano and cilantro. Saute for 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, and kidney beans with liquid as well as tomato paste and water. Stir to combine.
- Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. When potatoes are tender, the chili is all done.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
If you love comfort food, you may also enjoy Lighter Baked Macaroni and Cheese
WANT TO REMEMBER THIS? SAVE STOVETOP SWEET POTATO CHILI TO YOUR FAVOURITE FOOD AND RECIPE PINTEREST BOARD!