With a lightly sweetened banana bread flavour and chunks of baked apples throughout, these fruit-filled muffins are tasty and delicious.
When the weather warms up, there is nothing more convenient than freshly baked muffins. You can take them anywhere for a quick, tasty snack. When they’re packed with tasty apples and bananas, these healthy treats become are even more wonderful.
While I’m always excited to share healthy, tasty recipes (and DIYs too), today this recipe comes with a bit of exciting news…
bun muffin in my oven!
That’s right – I’m pregnant!!! We’re expecting baby #2 this fall! As the summer comes to an end, we’ll be gearing up for the arrival of a new baby. We are so excited!! And I couldn’t wait to share it with all of you!!! (Yes, lots of exclamation points!)
During this pregnancy, I’ve been all about fruits and veggies. Two of my favourites are apples and bananas. They’re gentle on the stomach (so they’re morning sickness friendly), and they are super tasty. Apple Banana Muffins helped me feel better on those tougher days and my family kept gobbling them up too!
With a light and fluffy texture, Apple Banana Muffins are a wonderful light snack. At first bite, the muffins have a light banana bread flavour, then you taste the baked apple flavour. The cinnamon and allspice, amplifies the flavour of the apple and banana, making these muffins even tastier.
Plus, since they’re made with apple sauce, mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, and apple chunks, these muffins are perfectly moist. With all the fruit baked throughout, Apple Banana Muffins won’t dry out. Even a couple of days after baking, they’re still delicious.
Apple Banana Muffins are also lower in sugar. Made with only a small amount of brown sugar, most of the sweetness comes from apples, bananas, and maples syrup. Maple syrup is a healthier sugar, it’s lower in calories and has less sugar per gram than refined sugars. When it’s all mixed together, with cinnamon and allspice, these muffins are truly healthy comfort food.
What are you waiting for, make some healthy Apple Banana Muffins today!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup banana, mashed (2-3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 4 tablespoons egg whites
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup apple, chopped (1 apple)
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine maple syrup, banana, apple sauce, egg whites, milk, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Add apple banana mixture to flour one. Stir just enough to blend. Gently fold in apples.
- Coat muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill each tin.
- Bake muffins for 20 to 22 minutes, or until muffin tops are lightly browned.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin.
Note: For accurate measurements, mash the banana before measuring.
If you love apple and bananas, you may also enjoy Apple Banana Bread
If you love muffins, you may also enjoy Skinny Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Have you tried Apple Banana Muffins? Do you enjoy muffins in the spring and summer? What’s your favourite muffi