Peppery arugula, warm mushrooms and juicy tomatoes make a perfect summer pasta salad.
Summer is all about bright, colourful dishes. Warm Mushroom and Arugula Pasta Salad is truly a feast for the eyes. And the taste buds! Just look at how colourfully this dish is. It’s perfect for dinner, lunches, barbecues, or potlucks.
Warm Mushroom and Arugula Pasta Salad is packed with peppery arugula, warm mushrooms, and juicy tomatoes. The mix of veggies gives this salad so much flavour. The dressing kicks it up a flavour notch.
Unlike traditional pasta salads, this salad is made without oil or cream. Instead, it’s made with vegetable broth. If you haven’t tried vegetable broth dressings, it tastes similar to oil sauces. But it has a lighter flavour.
The vegetable broth is thickened up with cornstarch, which gives the sauce an oily sheen without any oily aftertaste. Yum! So, when you combine the thickened vegetable broth with vinegar, honey, mustard, oregano, basil, garlic powder and salt – you have a perfectly tasty sauce.
Plus, if you make a little too much, this dressing will always stay well mixed. It won’t separate when you store it in your fridge. Tasty and convenient! I love this dish.
- 1 (12 ounce) package of penne
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups arugula
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, dried
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package until al dente. When done, reserve 2/3 cup of pasta water. Drain, rinse in cold water, and place in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan over high heat, combine vegetable broth and cornstarch. Cook until sauce is clear and thickened. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a small bowl, combine thickened vegetable broth, vinegar, honey, mustard, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and salt. Slowly mix in pasta water.
- Over medium heat, add oil and mushrooms to saucepan and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion powder and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta, tomatoes, warm mushrooms, arugula, and cheese. Slowly add dressing and adjust seasoning to taste.
If you love salad, you may also enjoy Avocado Caesar Salad
If you love mushrooms, you may also enjoy Mushroom Smothered Salmon
Do you enjoy summer pasta salad? What’s your favourite summer salad?