Creamy macaroni and cheese casserole, need I say more.
There’s comfort food and then there’s cheesy, carby comfort food. With a lightly crispy, cheesy crust and a creamy, cheesy middle, macaroni noodles have met their match.
There’s nothing like a forkful of creamy, cheesy sauce with perfectly cooked macaroni noodles to bring on nostalgic memories of childhood. That simpler time with simply scrumptious flavours can be so enticing. While I still yearn for those flavours of childhood, today I prefer a full-flavoured, healthier alternative.
To help make this dish lighter and healthier, low fat cottage cheese replaces some of the higher fat cheddar cheese. When melted, cottage cheese enhances the creamy texture of the sauce, while adding a subtle cheesy flavour. Egg whites also help to enhance the rich and creamy sauce without adding more fat. Rich, creamy, and low fat – this is more than nostalgically delicious. It’s seriously tasty.
Lighter Baked Macaroni and Cheese may be lower fat, but it sure pops with flavour. Dijon mustard, parsley, and paprika enhance the cheesy flavour. While milk, cottage cheese, and egg whites, make this casserole creamy, dreamy.
To help keep the casserole perfectly creamy, cover it with tin foil for the first 20 minutes while baking. During the last 10 minutes, remove the foil to give the top a lightly crunchy, cheesy crust. When it’s all done, Lighter Baked Macaroni and Cheese will be perfectly crispy on top and creamy in the middle.
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 and 1/2 cups, shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- dash paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Prepare baking dish with a quick spray of cooking oil. Cook pasta al dente, according to package instructions.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add milk and slowly stir in flour. Continue stirring. Cook for 3 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Remove thickened milk from heat. Stir in cottage cheese, mustard, salt, parsley, pepper, and paprika.
- Pour milk sauce into baking dish. Add egg whites and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Add drained pasta to the baking dish. Gently stir.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove tin foil and bake for 10 minutes.
If you love cheesy pasta, you may also enjoy Cheese Gnocchi
If you love macaroni, you may also enjoy Healthy Tuna Casserole
If you love creamy pasta, you may also enjoy Creamy Avocado Pasta
Do you love macaroni and cheese? Have you tried Lighter Baked Macaroni and Cheese? What’s your favourite casserole dish?